From:
randy oliver <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 26 Nov 2010 17:43:46 -0800

> >I was *not* saying what the snip appears to make me say.  What I was
> saying is that soft treatments are known to have problems bringing down high
> loads and we were looking at a borderline case and a probable disaster in
> progress.

Sorry Allen, wasn't trying to tweak your meaning at all.
Data from some "soft" treatments yesterday:
Counts are alcohol wash prior to treatment and 23 days later, broodrearing
shutting down, most mites necessarily becoming phoretic as they emerge.
Treatment with Apiguard gel, ~25 g on 3x5 card in middle of broodnest (this
is half recommended dose)
Before/After
15/0
12/5
4/0
5/0
46/1
26/2
18/14
22/0

Treatment with MAQS
22/0
8/1
7/1
13/0
13/0 (not a typo)
11/0

This is only a preliminary data set, 25 samples still to count.
My point is, that overall, a single "soft" treatment in this case took most
mite levels down to acceptable levels.
BTW, I allowed mite levels to climb in this yard intentionally, so that I
would have some fairly high levels to test.

Not trying to argue, levels this high in October are clearly in the danger
zone.  I was simply questioning your blanket assertion that soft treatments
couldn't bring down high mite levels.  I would be very interested to see
your supportive data.

Randy Oliver