From:
Lionel Evans <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 28 Sep 2009 08:06:39 -0500
Hi all,

Believe you me, if you let anyone travel thru the area, small hive beetles
will escape from the hives and populate the whole area. In North Alabama,
USA, one beekeeper brought small hive beetles to our area. These are, IMHO,
as bad as or worse than mites. If a hive looses a queen, it will start to
dwindle in numbers. They are just waiting there in the hives, just like
vultures, until they get weak and boom, they start laying eggs like crazy.
Next thing there are little larvae everywhere and they produce a slime that
the bees will not crawl on. This moves the bees left to a smaller area day
by day. It is a sad mess. Slime will run all down thru the hive. This time
frame is just about a couple of weeks.

I have had this happen to me a few times. Most of the times, you cannot
salvage anything but the wooden ware. I just freeze all the mess and throw
away everything except the hive bodies.

Lionel