From:
Charles Linder <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 5 Jul 2018 13:29:20 -0500
Personally, I wonder if the bees in the US can be classified as Italian, Carniolan, or they are mostly a mix. I thought the only difference is color, (sorta like black and yellow Labrador retrievers). Seeley sampled bees in the woods near my location and found

Really Pete?  I never know with you,  are you serious?  Facetious?  Sarcastic??  Trying to start a discussion or pick a battle??  Too hard to predict

So the bees in Your woods are mixed?  So what?  So a researcher found that they share the same ancestors....  DUH...

All wolves are Dogs,  but not all dogs are wolves.

For anyone to argue that there are no genetic differences in the bee stocks in the USA  is well  foolish to put nicely.   Do they mix a lot?  Yup  are they of common ancestor?  Yup

Are the different genetic types?  Yes, and only someone looking for a battle  or completely foolish would argue otherwise.

To Bills point,  many breeders  mix and match,  and to your point  sometimes color is just that,   All that aside,  100's of breeders here and worldwide have been working with and exploiting these differences for decades.

To not be knowledgeable of the difference in hive structures between Italians, Carni, Russian, and Africans (slang definitions) is a bit puzzling at this level.

Many breeders are clueless and pick the pretty queens,  and MANY others make special DCA and drone mothers to carry on linage.

AS of yet,  never had hot bees that were bright yellow or Orange (cordovan)

Try getting a Russian or Carni to fill a double deep and 3 supers

Try to get an Itialn hive overwintered in a 10 frame box

Maybe just my chance to run and buy large lots of queens,  but if you don’t think there are genetic differences your way off.  We can debate all day the name of the differences,  call them big  steady brooders purple Stratocasters,  and those that shut down in dearths  golden hushpuppies,  but  they are different.

This is where Science and real world depart apparently.....  Sometimes hard to believe we share common ancestors also. I am thinking many are from another planet....;)

Charles