From:
Christina Wahl <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 30 May 2013 08:15:04 -0400
Apologies to Aaron...I do think the gut permeability-altering properties of GMO pesticides like Bt relates to bees, albeit circuitously.  I really want to respond to Pete's comment about this.

Let's consider some correlations that could defend "loose conjecture" about GMOs:

From "ECONOMIC, ECOLOGICAL, FOOD SAFETY, AND SOCIAL CONSEQUENCES OF THE DEPLOYMENT OF BT TRANSGENIC PLANTS Annual Review of Entomology Vol. 47: 845-881 (Volume publication date January 2002)  DOI: 10.1146/annurev.ento.47.091201.145309

"In 1995, the U.S. Environmental Protection Agency (EPA) approved the first registration of Bt corn, potato, and cotton products; now more Bt crops are grown in the United States than in any other country.

 The use of Bt corn and Bt cotton has increased dramatically in the United States. The percentage of total area of Bt corn in the United States was <1% (0.16 million ha) in 1996, but 6% (1.78 million) in 1997, 18% (5.87 million) in 1998, and approximately 26% (8 million) in 1999, 2000, and 2001. The area of Bt cotton in the United States increased from 0.73 million ha in 1996 to 0.84 million in 1997 and 1 million in 1998.  In 2000, 1.78 ha of the cotton was Bt cotton (25). The area grown in potatoes has never exceeded approximately 20,000 ha (<4% of the overall potato production) and is now in decline."

From:  http://www.cdc.gov/nchs/data/databriefs/db10.htm

Food allergy among children in the United States is becoming more common over time.
In 2007, the reported food allergy rate among all children younger than 18 years was 18% higher than in 1997. During the 10-year period 1997 to 2006, food allergy rates increased significantly among both preschool-aged and older children.

Pete, note that Bt toxin increases gut permeability, and the use of Bt toxin in GMO crops coincides with a dramatic increase in food allergies among US citizens, especially children.  Food allergies are a known consequence of leaky gut syndrome.

Pete, I don't believe these observations, and my concerns about some GMO products are "loose conjecture".  I believe we don't know enough about what we are doing and by the time this is thoroughly understood, the cat may be out of the proverbial bag.

Christina