Date:
Sat, 14 Apr 2012 19:18:07 GMT
From: Steve Rose <[log in to unmask]>

>We would only look for inbreeding when trying to fix lines in order to get recessive genes to be expressed so that they can be culled out or to subsequently outbreed for one generation to take advantage of the resulting vigour.

...do you think the different races/strains came about with no inbreeding?

>I see outbreeding as mating between unrelated bees
but from the same race.

....how unrelated?

>It provides a "lack of inbreeding weakness" without
producing hybrids.

...yet when you cross them with bees that are even less related, you see hybrid vigor.

>Then there is cross breeding which involves the crossing of different races.

...these have a higher level of "unrelatedness" than what you are calling "unrelated bees of the same race"....it is a continuum...not one or the other.

deknow