Reply To:
Informed Discussion of Beekeeping Issues and Bee Biology <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 19 Oct 2006 09:22:24 +1300
Content-Type:
text/plain
Parts/Attachments:
text/plain (24 lines)
In reply to Dee, the little we know about the species of pseudoscorpions that live right among bees in India and Africa suggests that if they are present in hives, they can eat sufficient varroa to control them. As far as is known, the species of bee-specific pseudoscorpions are the only creatures that can move freely among bees and over the brood. They are most active at night, so would be rarely seen among the bees during the day. I must emphasize that bee-specific pseudoscorpions are very small - only 6 mm long, and are nothing like real scorpions, so if pseudoscorpions were living among my bees and controlling varroa, I wouldn't care how many crawled up my leg. Not that any would, because they live in hives. 

It seems possible that pseudoscorpions in New Zealand and the U.S., that are seen during the day under the edge of cover boards and hive mats etc., might sally forth at night into the bees, there to eat varroa. But whether this happens we simply do not know. We need research to determine whether pseudoscorpions are doing some good, and by publishing on the topic, I and my co-authors Dr Flora Paul and Wouter Hyink are hoping to stimulate research. Until we gain facts, all is speculation. However we are speculating that research may eventually result in management of pseudoscorpions in hives so that varroa - and other arthropod enemies of bees- are controlled.

Regards,
Barry Donovan,
New Zealand.

Visit our website at http://www.crop.cri.nz 
dissemination, distribution or reproduction of all or part of the 
contents is prohibited. If you receive this message in error, 
please notify the sender immediately.

Any opinions or views expressed in this message are those of the 
individual sender and may not represent those of their employer.

-- Visit www.honeybeeworld.com/bee-l for rules, FAQ and  other info ---

ATOM RSS1 RSS2