From:
James Fischer <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Sat, 17 May 2008 11:50:50 -0400
> There have been a number of recommendations recently to
> apply Fumidil as a spray (an off-label use as someone
> pointed out).

Who made these "recommendations"?
I've not heard of any credible or legitimate source
suggest spraying Fumidil, as it is not a topical
treatment. Why would anyone follow ad-hoc
"instructions" not found on the label of a medication?

How can we beekeepers presume to chant "The Label Is The Law"
at growers if we don't respect "The Label" ourselves?

There have been a number of highly "creative" approaches
to treating bees, the oldest one being the trick of
leaving Apistan strips in the brood chamber year-round.

Like leaving strips in, "creative" use of medications
and miticides have never yet resulted in even the
slightest advance in the state-of-the-art.  All have
proven to only offer value as cautionary tales to warn
others against trying such ad-hoc schemes.

Just to simplify, what part of "feed Fumidil" was
hard to grasp? :)

I wonder what these people do when their kids get an
infection.  Do they spray their kids with antibiotics,
hoping that some of the medicine will make it into
their mouths?

Yes, it is frustrating when new pathogens like Nosema
ceranae (assuming that it actually is Nosema ceranae),
cannot be controlled well by the existing medications
like Fumidil.  It is worse when no one has an effective
control strategy to offer.

But let's not panic, and start spraying medication all
over our hives at random.  If it is going to work at all,
it is only going to work when bees eat the stuff.

FEED the stuff to your bees.
All Nosema lives in the digestive tracts of bees.

> is there any danger to beekeepers from inhaling this spray?

All the years of beekeepers trying to mix the stuff
properly was sure to have generated a lot of splashes
and sprays, and so far, no one has reported any problems.