From:
Howard McGinnis <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 27 May 2014 08:50:00 -1000
As a geek for almost 40 years, I tried it when it was called, I think,
MyHives or something like that.

I found that the data entry needs to be simple and free format, although
nothing beats paper!

My system, which is a roll your own, lets me enter hive data using an
iPhone as a note. When I'm done with the apiary, i email the note to
myself. I have a google script that processes the note and places the data
in a MySQL database.

A snippet of the note:

Hivelogentry 5/1/2014
Afe 29e-1 d8 good/super
Afe 29e-2 5fn good/d8
Afe 29e-3
Afe 29e-4  dww good
Afe 29e-5 wwww good

The top line indicates that this is a hive log entry email. When the iPhone
sends the note as an email, it uses the first line as the subject. I have a
filter on gmail that gets triggered by this.

'Afe' is the apiary, '29E-1' is the hive. 'd8' indicates an 8 frame deep.
The text after the slash is what needs to be done to the hive in the
future. A second slash lets me add a comment.

I just modify the previous note as required, send it, and the miracle
happens - the data gets into the computer. It's easy on an iPhone, a little
harder on an Android. No fixed format, no tabbing to the next field. The
upside to the iPhone is that the notes are  synched to other apple devices.

For field use, the key is not being forced to fill out forms. Free format,
let the computers put it all together.

Just some thoughts,

Howard in Hawaii