From:
Bob Darrell <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 4 Apr 2011 08:04:07 -0400
On 3-Apr-11, at 11:29 AM, J. Waggle wrote:

> IMO, if a bait hive is used near the yard, it is
> being used in the wrong manner.
> -bees seldom select a void closer than
> 300 m (Seeley, Morse)

Hi All

3 years ago on the day we were leaving for our annual trip to
Ireland, I was checking my hives one last time.  I found a hive with
many capped queen cells that I had previously missed.  I didn't have
time to find the queen so split the 2 boxes to separate stands.  I
then piled several boxes of comb in front of, with entrance facing,
the two halves of the hive, then left for the airport.  The luck of
the Irish (I'm not Irish but my granddaughter is) defeated my PPB as
all three stacks had foraging bees coming and going when I returned
after 2 weeks.  All three had laying queens when I later checked the
hives

Bob Darrell
Caledon Ontario
Canada
44N80W ( I don't have a GPS so these co-ords are 20km from my bees
but close enough to see where I am on a map)