From:
Lloyd Spear <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 25 Apr 2011 18:18:03 -0400
Allen asked "I have asked many times if anyone thinks that my Tylosin
treatment helped the mites as much or mo0re than the bees.  Has anyone ever
considered the possibility?"

I have not used Tylosin or Terra. in many years.  I had one hive in one yard
with AFB two  years ago, and since have effectively isolated that yard but
have not seen another occurrence.

I have had 30% losses the past two years.  A good friend who runs 1,000
hives came through this past winter with 7% losses!  They use Terra.
routinely as well as other unmentioned treatments.  I am reasonably certain
they are using Terra. to prevent AFB outbreaks rather than any other
purpose.

I noticed Randy Oliver's recent speculation that the use of Terra. might be
beneficial in preventing the catastrophic losses that are being seen because
of damage by varroa and subsequent susceptibility to attack by 'normal'
viruses and bacteria.

Beyond these thoughts...I dunno.

Lloyd