Date:
Sat, 13 Aug 2011 11:18:04 -0700
Randy queried:
>> I'm not clear as to the difference between "slotted" top bars and
>> "grooved" top bars.

The slotted top bars have a slot cut completely through the top bar from top to bottom so that foundation can slide down through the slot and into position in the frame.   The grooved top bar has a grove cut in the bottom in which the top of the plastic foundation can fit and be secured within the top bar.  The groove does not go all the way through the top bar from top to bottom.

SLOT:  a narrow opening as for a coin vending machine
GROOVE:  a long, narrow furrow cut with a tool

I personally like the frames with grooved top, side, and bottom bars because that frame will secure all four sides of the waxed plastic foundation which I prefer.  You son't have to worry about blowouts when extracting, even with newly drawn frames.

The Illinois frame that I like is located at : https://kelleybees.com/Products/Detail/?id=3336333533363337&grouped=1
This is an Illinois (medium) frame since I am trying to go to all Illinois supers for my equipment (weight consideration).
Mike in LA