Date:
Tue, 31 Jul 2018 15:56:42 -0400
> Canadians cited "poor queen performance" as the issue? Without facts of data its waste of time to debate.

Did you read the report? It contains plenty of data and the purpose of these reports are to enable beekeepers to debate on the meaning of the data and take appropriate measures. It does little or no good to simply dismiss such a comprehensive report because it relies on beekeeper's evaluations of their own industry.

> The respondents operated 502,764 honey bee colonies across Canada. This represents 63.9% of all colonies operated and wintered in the country in 2017-2018. The overall national colony loss reported in 2018 is the highest reported loss since 2009. Beekeepers were asked to rank possible contributing factors to colony losses. Poor or failing queens were commonly cited as a cause of winter loss across Canada.<

So, professional beekeepers reported poor queens as the number one preventable problem, after weather, which cannot be ameliorated by Canadian beekeepers. US migratory beekeepers largely leave the northern states during winter, eliminating that as a major factor. Weather can still be poor in the south, of course. I think commend the authors, and applaud their efforts to identify the causes of poor colony survival. Bravo!

CAPA National Survey Committee and Provincial Apiculturists: Julie Ferland (chair), Shelley Hoover (President), Melanie Kempers, Karen Kennedy, Paul Kozak, Rheal Lafreniere, Chris Maund, Cameron Menzies, Medhat Nasr, Steve Pernal, Jason Sproule, Paul van Westendorp and Geoff Wilson

PLB