From:
Peter L Borst <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 7 Jul 2012 19:30:05 -0400
> the main argument for biodiversity (other than simple respect for the other species that coinhabit this little planet with us), is that diversity generally equates with stability of a system.

This statement presupposes a value to stability and/or that stability can even exist. Constant change is a closer description of what nature is. Nature has no goals that could be interfered with, no steady state or equilibrium that can be quantified.

> Another consideration here is that we are continually finding value in plants that were previously considered of no value at all.  As our knowledge of our environment grows, we're finding new uses for plants that were once thought to be a hindrance to our wants and needs.

This is another way of saying nature has value because we value it. That puts the environmentalist, the logger and the strip miner all in the same club, all valuing nature for what they can get from it. Whether it is coal or lumber, or some moral or aesthetic value, these are values WE attach to nature.

I think that the idea of respect is closer to the target. Nature is awesome, and seeing it as such, who would want to change it? But we have changed it, and we will continue to do so. But to develop rules or laws on what we may or may not do -- how to proceed?

Science cannot tell us what we should or should not do. Religion has been no more successful in creating universally agreed upon values. If we rely upon aesthetics, it is a given that everybody has different values as to what has and what lacks merit. So we are in a quandary: there are no agreed upon universal values and everybody sees the world differently. Will I simply declare that I know better than the next guy what nature is?