From:
Larry Farris <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 5 Sep 1995 15:16:41 -0500
>On Mon, 4 Sep 1995, Adam Finkelstein wrote:
>
>> Liz Day wrote:
>>
>> > It could be some kind of dominance behavior, where the 'muggers' are
>> > showing their dominance over the 'victim'.  I understand bumblebees
>> > do this - keeps the other workers from getting too cocky and laying
>> > eggs.
>>
>> Cocky? A little anthropomoric

I likewise have seen this behavior in my 15-frame (deep brood frames)
semi-permanent observation hive so I don't believe its a "space" thing.  I
do believe that it may have to do with Queen scent problems in the hive.
This is not "grooming" behavior....grooming behavior looks entirely
different.  This activity is much "rougher."  I haven't thought about the
"guard training" thing before; this might be worth taking a look at.