From:
"D. Murrell" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 2 Feb 2006 23:16:07 -0500
Hi Guys,

Erik, a Swedish biobeekeeper, sent me an email concerning brood cell size
ranges. So, I decided to go back and measure some brood cell sizes on each
of the natural combs in my top bar hive. I measured across ten cells looking
for the largest and smallest cell sizes that were used to raise either
worker or drone brood on each comb.

These max/min ranges reflect the largest/smallest value from the 18 combs.
The max/min averages are an average of th max/min values from the 18 combs.

Only cells actually containing brood(larva/pupae) were measured. Here's what
I found on the 18 combs in my top bar hive:

Maximum Worker Cell Size
Range 5.12mm to 5.59mm
Average 5.33

Minimum Worker Cell Size
less than 4.6mm

Maximum Drone Cell Size
Range 5.87 to 7.29
Average 6.49

Minimum Drone Cell Size
Range 5.25 to 6.43
Average 5.93

Bees are naturally quite willing to raise brood in a variety of cell sizes.

I'm sure, by now, just about everyone knows my take on this issue. But if
not, then check out the small cell beekeeping section of my website.

Regards
Dennis