From:
Geoff Manning <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 2 Apr 2015 15:32:40 +1100
On 28/03/2015 11:58 AM, Charles Linder wrote:

> Can you cite an example of an animal we have changed so much it won't survive without us??  Even dogs and cats are geneticly capable of surviving just fine.

I would be dubious about some of the dog breeds.  Here in Australia wild
dogs, as opposed to dingos, the indigenous wild dog, are from breeds
such as German Shepard.  I don't see any evidence of Pekinese or even
Jack Russel.

Domestic rabbits were deliberately released in the very early days and
did not survive.  Then wild rabbits were released with devastating
results.  Goats, even milch breeds will survive in the wild, but their
close relative sheep to my knowledge never have, probably as much to do
with their extreme fleece when left unshorn. Camels, donkeys, goats,
water buffalo, and horses have all done well.  That is from their
perspective, from ours they have been disastrous as feral animals.  I am
unaware of feral poultry here, that is if you don't count rock doves as
poultry.

Geoff Manning