From:
Aaron Morris <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 1 Mar 2001 13:01:48 -0500
In an attempt to keep the BEE-L archives complete, I'm posting a portion of
what Allen wrote in his diary to BEE-L.  For the rest of his discussion and
references to pertinent BEE-L postings, visit the URL in Allen's previous
post.

"At the Alberta Beekeepers Association's disease update meeting this week,
Lawrence Cutts was scheduled to speak, but, personal matters intervened and
Dave Westerfeld came in his place.  I'd met him the first night in San Diego
and Aaron and I had a beer with him at the time.  I was impressed then and
am even more so now.  Dave is a fascinating, enthusiastic, open (and
rambling) speaker.  I greatly enjoyed his straight from the shoulder style
and wide range of topics.

In one of Dave's talks, he mentioned discovering resistant AFB early on in
Florida and, looking around, found empty Argentine honey drums stacked
nearby.  I gather that the 17 inspectors in Fla are pretty thorough and
honey samples were taken from the residue left in the drums.  It was
analysed for AFB and guess what?  It turned out that -- not only was there
AFB in the honey in the drums -- but the AFB they found was OTC resistant!
In case anyone wants to read the original discussion on BEE-L, here are the
links."

Actually, I don't see that this confirms that ALL OTC resistant AFB
originated in Argentina.  That OTC resistent AFB was verified to exist in
honey that came from Argentina verifies that there is OTC resistent AFB in
Argentina.  It does not prove that OTC resistant AFB in Alberta originated
in Argentina, neither does it prove the OTC resistant AFB in Montana
originated in Argentina.  Short of DNA analysis, I'm not sure "SAFB" can be
proven.  And even then, OJ Simpson will be a free man.

Proof seems moot, other than possible containment.  What are we gonna do
about it is what I want to know.

Aaron Morris - I think, therefore I bee!