Date:
Thu, 29 Oct 1998 12:25:30 GMT+0200
Hi Jassim

I also have problems with bee eaters.

We have two main culprits, the fork tailed dronga, which I think has
a related species in your area and the european bee eaters - which
are not too much of a problem but I gather can catch many drones and
queens in drone congregation areas.

For the drongas - a dronga will usually try to sit on a branch near
the hive and take the bees as they flie in - it then removes the
sting by wiping it on a branch and eats the bee - together with it's
load of nectar and pollen.

To discourage drongas place your main apiary in the open and then
place a smaller apiary under some trees - the drongas will tend to
focus on the ones under the trees and leave the others alone.

I have now resorted to telling the kids in the area where I keep bees
that I will give them R5 a dronga - when I go around they have lots
of dried drongas and I buy them from them. It makes me feel bad
though as I like to think of beekeeping as being eco sensitive.

Drongas are also very difficult to catch or kill as they are
intelligent and rapidly learn that humans are bad and to stay 100m
away from any that happen to be nearby. They also learn very fast
what a gun is - and stay far away from anybody who happens to have
one on them.

Keep well

Garth

Garth Cambray           Camdini Apiaries
15 Park Road
Grahamstown             Apis mellifera capensis
6139
South Africa

Time = Honey

If you are not living on the edge you are taking up too much space!!