From:
Juanse Barros <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 24 Jul 2015 03:15:40 -0300
On Thu, Jul 23, 2015 at 3:16 PM, randy oliver

> >The effects of *Nosema ceranae* on colony health still remain, IMHO, an
> enigma, with strongly contradictory conclusions from researchers around the
> world.
>
> We have no way to compare different reports/research in terms of bee
nutrition at start of experiment and since nutritional level is key in
bee's ability to withstand nosema we end up with contradictory conclusions.

> I'm fresh returned from Chile, where some advisors have made beekeepers
> very fearful of *Nosema ceranae.  *Juanse was translating one of my
> presentations to the audience (thank you very much),

my pleasure

> and I asked him as to
> his opinion (since he and I have followed, and experimented with, *N
> ceranae *for some time).  Neither he nor I bother to treat for it any more,
> due both to our independent reviews of the literature, as well as our
> practical experience.

I stop treating with fumagilin in 2010 basically for 4 reasons

1.-  Fumagilin is a human need antibiotic
2.- I got mixed results in my yards and literature (do not ask me for the
exact reference) said that under healthy bee condition it did more bad than
good.
3.- Better to have healthy (ie low varroa)  fat bees than to give a
contradictory concoction.
4.- It is F***g expensive.

The above been said, after a long talk with the main  "advisors (that) have
made (chilean) beekeepers
very fearful of *Nosema ceranae I came to the conclution that some use of
Fumagilin is need when you must recover from doing bad or wrong beekeeping.
Unfortunatelly for you I reported that conversation in spanish here
http://apiaraucania.blogspot.com/2012/11/conversando.html
and later on I ask Mariano Higes which was his opinion to my writing and
his comments are here (again in spanish)
http://apiaraucania.blogspot.com/2013/11/conversas-con-mariano.html