From:
Lloyd Spear <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 13 Apr 1999 12:17:06 -0400
"Has anyone an update on the mite tolerant Russian bee program in
Louisiana?"

The April, 1999 issue of American Bee Journal has the latest data I have
heard of.  Essentially, the USDA has determined that they are, in fact,
capable of keeping varroa at levels where they are not harmful.  The bees
apparently do this via a combination of means, some of which are not well
understood.  These bees seem to be similar to Carnolians.

Not reported in the ABJ, but reported at the January ABF meeting, is that
during 1999 stock will be given to three commercial producers to evaluate
for other traits such as honey production, over-wintering, temperament, etc.
We were told that during 2000 more extensive evaluations would be made and
that general distribution could take place as early as 2001.

My impression is that the USDA is fully aware that the bad industry
experience with the ARS-Y-C-1  Carnolians has left many commercial
beekeepers skeptical of whether the USDA is capable of determining whether a
strain is commercially acceptable.  The USDA side of the story is that the
ARS-Y-C-1 queens released to breeders were a far different bee than what the
breeders released to the public, and "this time" they (the USDA) intends to
have an ongoing role in the breeding programs.

Lloyd

Lloyd Spear Owner, Ross Rounds(tm).  The finest in comb honey production.
http://www.rossrounds.com