From:
Tom Elliott <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 21 Nov 1999 15:56:22 -0900
Ted Fischer wrote:

>Of all food
>        items tested, only honey contained C. botulinum organisms. On household vacuum cleaner dust specimens and five soil specimens (three
>        from case homes, two from control homes) contained Clostridium botulinum.

Other studies cited some time back in one of the journals showed botulin
spores on or in other foods.  I seem to recall that even corn syrup was
found to contain spores in one case.  If the spores are in dust and soil
it is quite reasonable that they could be in other foods that are not
adequately cleaned.  Household dust could contaminate any food item
exposed to the air in a very short time.  Unlikely, but possible.

No arguement about rational precautions in young infants.  But, since
honey was possibly implicated in well under 40%  of the cases, other
possible vectors need to be kept in mind.

Tom

--
"Test everything.  Hold on to the good."  (1 Thessalonians 5:21)

Tom Elliott
Chugiak,  Alaska
U.S.A.