From:
Bob Harrison <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 11 May 2011 21:53:54 -0500
>If used intelligently, formic acid can be effective and have little or no
harm to brood.

I have read the studies peter quotes and find fault with all and I will
explain.

Seeing some brood effected is the best way one knows the kill rate is
correct.

Kind of like cancer chemo. Kill the cancer ( mites) without killing the
patient ( bees).

Testing before and using Bill's advice to test the formic dosage on a few
hives  before treatment gives better results.

The research posted simply selected a dose and went for it.

Bill has always explained in his talks that you need to test a few hives to
get the dose right. Slow dose as Bill says is the safest method for those
not knowledgeable but the commercial beekeeper with experience can adapt as
needed.

Mite away products:

The reason beekeepers are not going to be happy with the mite away strips is
the same reason many (myself) were not happy with the mite away pads.

ONE SIZE DOES NOT FIT ALL APPLICATIONS  . I see no problem with adding a new
tool to the beekeeper arsenal but many beekeepers are going to get in
trouble using the mite away strips as per label.

some will kill some bees and others will not get a decent mite kill but
with all but the most knowledgeable beekeepers those beekeepers will be in
the dark about what happened.

Apistan when effective was too easy. Now things get complicated for the
uninformed beekeeper.

The one pad and the strips does not compute with what those beekeepers using
formic in various forms  understand about application.

I once told David V. some of the methods commercial beekeepers were using
to improve the efficacy of his top pad. David seemed to think the pad worked
fine in all cases as released. I come from a family of farmers and was
taught to be wary of those trying to sell you a farm product. The thing to
remember about all products sold to control mites is that they come with no
guaranty of
success.

Now that chemical strips (apistan ) are not reliable in most places in the
world mite
free beekeeping has become harder to achieve.

When my family moved to rural Florida my father always said about Florida.

Every day thousands of people enter Florida to live and every day thousands
leave Florida because of not being able to survive on the low wages.

The same is true of beekeeping ( especially commercial beekeeping).

Many have attempted beekeeping but few last over a few years.

The new beekeepers are optimistic and convinced they have got all the
answers because of what they have read on the net or a book they have read.

Those leaving the craft are upset their attempt has been a failure and in
many cases upset over the amount of money spent and in many cases no honey
for friends and neighbors.

If Peter feels formic is too hard for him to handle and apply then I say all
those with concerns as to their ability to safely use formic they should
choose another method of mite control.

I agree many people could get in trouble using formic or even filling a
battery with acid. One should never attempt a procedure they are not
completely comfortable with doing.

bob