From:
Christina Wahl <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 9 Feb 2013 16:12:01 -0500
According to the book "Pollinator Protection: A Bee and Pesticide Handbook" recommended to us by Jerry Bromenshenk a few days ago:

"Queens are often superseded or the colony becomes queenless.  This is what we suspect is involved when the brood cycle is broken within a few days of the time the insecticide was applied.  Foragers have probably stopped bringing in pollen.  When there is a lack of pollen, the hive bees will begin feeding on the eggs or there may simply be a lack of clean and/or empty cells for the queen to lay in because foragers are depositing nectar in the brood combs.  The queen often remains alive and apparently healthy for a week or more before she is superseded.  Under normal conditions, healthy workers begin to produce royal jelly (the queen substance precursor) a few days after they emerge.  Lack of brood is not related to supersedure, but the supply of queen substance is, and when it falls below a critical amount the workers will get rid of the queen; the contaminated pollen/queen supercedure syndrome.  When there are no eggs or young larvae present, the workers can no longer rear a new queen and no supersedure cells are present.  Queenlessness has been associated with the use of a wide variety of insecticides, including arsenicals, dieldrin, Sevin, Orthene, malathion, parathion, and Penncap-M.  Typically, severe Sevin dust poisoning makes at least half the colonies queenless within 30 days.  Severely weakened and queenless colonies do not survive the following winter."

Pages 36-37.  Written by Carl Johansen and Daniel Mayer. Published 1990, Wicwas Press.