From:
Medhat Nasr <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 24 Sep 2009 07:27:22 -0600
Randy Said:
Since the mite population will continue to increase through the
broodrearing period, it would surprise me that it would *peak* in
spring.  I would expect the peak to occur in September.

I guess that this is a teachable moment, eh!. This list is a great one for
discussions with members from all over the globe. Considerations should be
given to locations and management practices before making generalization.
In Western Canada, beekeepers use strips once a year, either spring or
fall. At that time when we had KBV formic  was used as a supplement
treatment to be used in the season when strips are not used. Additionally,
Formic was commonly used for Tracheal mites and get few varroa based on
their treatment type.   Having said that. If a colony treated with strips
in the spring and not treated in the fall, the following spring mites will
be high. Summer season is too short to have a peak in the fall.

Secondly; there is another management difference; beekeepers will start
feeding bees pollen patties as early as late February. By the time it is
spring your might level will build up and increase. So, Mite levels will
respond to how many brood cycles developed during this time.

Thirdly, in these case where KBV was found, colonies were not in good
shape. This means that varroa mite treatment failed.

The case was studied and investigated by people who have been in the
apiculture field for long time. Sampling and testing was done in a
government laboratory to avoid any tampering with samples.

Even though, it sounded bad at this time, I recall that many commercial
beekeepers had good bees. I guess that is life "Bad things take over and
get more attention".

Medhat