Date:
Mon, 11 Oct 2010 12:14:31 -0400
> Trying to attack the motives of researchers by way of pointing to their
> funding shows a lack of awareness of the difficulty of getting extremely
> expensive work done. Furthermore, to suppose that if such and such a
> researcher is doing better, more important or more impartial work simply
> on the basis of what funding he or she was able to attract is equally
> foolish. No self-respecting researcher would accept funding  to do
> scientific work if the funding was in any way dependent on the outcome.

While what you say is correct and true in an ideal world, in fact, funding
does often have an influence on what research is done and by whom and
whether it is completed and/or made public.

Even the most honest researcher can be as vulnerable to bias and
preconceptions as anyone, and moneyed interests can exploit that fact.
Moreover, people who might say something about issues can think twice before
they compromise future funding.  We often see organisations and countries
run directly into foreseeable crises simply because it was in no one's
interest, and often heresy, to point out the rock dead ahead.

Yes, people are people and subject to influences, both subtle and overt.
Peer pressure among scientists is strong, too, and that can hamper and
punish the pursuit of "unapproved" avenues.

So, although I agree with you, I am not naive and always want to know, who
is paying for this and why.  The answer is as often as not quite innocent.
Association is not necessarily cause and effect.

As for those who pillory Bayer and anyone who has associations with Bayer, I
find them either uninformed or disingenuous.

Bayer is a huge organisation with many facets and interests, some
conflicting.

I must confess that I worked for Bayer and many of my friends do at present,
as beekeepers pollinating crops.  In that instance, Bayer has as much
interest in preserving bees and understanding bee mortality as anyone.  They
also are interested in preserving crops -- and bees -- via agricultural
chemicals (including miticides), and human life through pharmaceuticals.
The list goes on and on.

These issues are not simple and anyone who attempts to oversimplify by
villainizing any one group or individual is adding to the confusion.