Date:
Tue, 24 May 2011 22:40:54 -0400
:

> > To be technical, BTW, acids are not caustic in proper usage.  Try
> corrosive.
>
> Chemists may restrict "caustic" to alkaline substances, but the original
> Greek "kaustikos" means to burn. Caustic = able to burn or corrode organic
> tissue by chemical action.

Peter is correct. Acids are caustic when caustic is used as an adjective.
When you use it as a noun, then it refers to hydroxides of light metals.

This discussion is interesting and we are really operating in the forward
edge of a new process with little actual data from beekeepers who are using
it. But we do have a few data points from the field and those are that you
must use the strips carefully or there are problems. So are we in another of
those "they are harmless when used properly"  and "properly" becomes a
moving target.

For example the beekeepers in Cal who had to make additional openings for
ventilation because of harm to the bees.I do not recall seeing that kind of
admonition when using Formic in its other formulations. So this new method
does pack a punch and I have a bit of trouble making the leap to its being
fairly benign.

Bill Truesdell
Bath, Maine