From:
Mark Jensen <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Sat, 24 Aug 1996 04:45:51 GMT
On Fri, 23 Aug 1996 06:49:29 -0600, you wrote:

>> <<<As I have some yards that have been exposed to Varroa it is my
>> intention to treat these with Apistan this fall.
>
>Well, I wonder if any varroa can be detected.
>
>What is the cost of sampling vs. treatment?
>
>What is the effect of fluvalinate on wintering bees?
>
>My understanding is that it is a poison that affects the bees only
>to a lesser extent than the mites.
>
>Why use it if no mites can be found?
>
>Regards
>
>Allen

It is easy to see that the varroa mite has not subjected Allen to its surprising
effects. We should be able to tell when it has when he stops asking the above
ludicrous questions. I can remember asking the same questions several years ago
myself. The only question I ask now is "has it been 6 mo. since this hive had
strips?"
--
Mark Jensen  Double J Apiaries   [log in to unmask]
Los Altos Hills   California    fax 415 941-3488