From:
John Macdougall <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 19 Jul 2018 14:57:24 +0000
I see many references to "pollen quality" as being how bees decide which pollen is preferable. As far as I can make out, "pollen quality" relates to essential fatty acid and/or amino acid content. However, I am getting out of my depth here. Anyway, a few references to provide further food for thought:

https://onlinelibrary.wiley.com/doi/abs/10.1046/j.1365-2311.2003.00548.x

1.  Although pollen is a vital nutritional resource for honey bees, Apis mellifera, the influence of pollen quality on their foraging behaviour is little understood.

2. In choice‐test experiments, bees showed no innate pollen‐foraging preferences, but preferred oilseed rape Brassica napus pollen over field bean Vicia faba pollen after previous foraging experience of oilseed rape.

3. The free amino acid content of oilseed rape and field bean pollen was compared using high‐performance liquid chromatography. Oilseed rape pollen contained a greater proportion of the most essential amino acids required by honey bees (valine, leucine, and isoleucine) than field bean, suggesting that oilseed rape pollen is of greater nutritional quality for honey bees than is field bean pollen.

4. Honey bee foraging preferences appeared to reflect pollen quality. The hypothesis that pollen amino acid composition affects the foraging behaviour of honey bees is discussed.

http://journals.plos.org/plosone/article?id=10.1371/journal.pone.0191050

Honey bee workers (Apis mellifera) consume a variety of pollens to meet the majority of their requirements for protein and lipids. Recent work indicates that honey bees prefer diets that reflect the proper ratio of nutrients necessary for optimal survival and homeostasis. This idea relies on the precept that honey bees evaluate the nutritional composition of the foods provided to them. While this has been shown in bumble bees, the data for honey bees are mixed. Further, there is controversy as to whether foragers can evaluate the nutritional value of pollens, especially if they do not consume it. Here, we focused on nurse workers, who eat most of the pollen coming into the hive. We tested the hypothesis that nurses prefer diets with higher nutritional value. We first determined the nutritional profile, number of plant taxa (richness), and degree of hypopharyngeal gland (HG) growth conferred by three honey bee collected pollens. We then presented nurses with these same three pollens in paired choice assays and measured consumption. To further test whether nutrition influenced preference, we also presented bees with natural pollens supplemented with protein or lipids and liquid diets with protein and lipid ratios equal to the natural pollens. Different pollens conferred different degrees of HG growth, but despite these differences, nurse bees did not always prefer the most nutritious pollens. Adding protein and/or lipids to less desirable pollens minimally increased pollen attractiveness, and nurses did not exhibit a strong preference for any of the three liquid diets. We conclude that different pollens provide different nutritional benefits, but that nurses either cannot or do not assess pollen nutritional value. This implies that the nurses may not be able to communicate information about pollen quality to the foragers, who regulate the pollens coming into the hive.

https://link.springer.com/article/10.1007%2Fs00265-017-2394-1

Honey bee colonies require adequate pollen for maintenance and growth. Pollens vary in nutritional value, and a balanced diet is achieved by mixing pollens with complementary essential nutrients. We tested subjective evaluation of pollens by foragers in colonies deprived of one of two essential fatty acids (eFAs), alpha-linolenic acid (omega-3) or linoleic acid (omega-6). We used four pollens, two rich in omega-3 and two rich in omega-6. A colony in an observation hive was allowed to forage for 2–5 days on a single pollen source. The following day, we repeatedly presented one of three pollens: the same pollen that the bees had been collecting the previous days, a novel pollen that was similarly deficient in omega-3 or omega-6, and a novel pollen that complemented their eFA deficiency. We measured the rate of waggle dances, which reflects on the strength of recruitment effort, of foragers returning to the observation hive from each of the pollens. Dance rates did not differ between the four pollens, but they were the highest to the “complementary” pollen and the lowest to the “same” pollen. Furthermore, this effect was greater for pollen combinations with greater eFA disparity between the same and the complementary pollens. Our findings support the ability of bees to balance colony eFA intake. Conditioning of the proboscis extension response (PER) tests showed that pollen foragers discriminated well between the four pollen odors, but the mechanisms by which bees assess pollen eFA composition remain to be elucidated. Differential dancing would recruit foragers to pollens that balance colony nutritional needs.

https://nam02.safelinks.protection.outlook.com/?url=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.lsoft.com%2FLISTSERV-powered.html&data=02%7C01%7C%7C4f02f8512e6a48eae02508d5ed7756e1%7C84df9e7fe9f640afb435aaaaaaaaaaaa%7C1%7C0%7C636676019168284985&sdata=MU8za5soAps8wG5ai0vLgVxOPdqy6sCjkSWhunryp74%3D&reserved=0