From:
Justin Kay <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 27 Sep 2016 10:01:19 -0400

>  I'm surprised no one has mentioned it yet in this thread. Yes it's a bit
> expensive but for backyard keepers it's just the thing. Made in 8-frame and
> 10-frame sizes, also for nucs.
> http://www.eheartwood.com/bee-boxes/beetle-mite-trap-bottom-w-tray-8-frame
>
> Not difficult or expensive to make yourself. Some scrap lumber, hardware
cloth, an aluminum baking pan and you're good to go.

But it requires the use of a screened bottom board, which I despise. Makes
treating for varroa with OA vapor, Formic, or thymol nearly impossible. I
inherited a couple of screened bottom boards secured to deep boxes from
someone that went out of the hobby a few years ago. I use them as a last
resort,  but it seems just about every year the colonies that sit in that
equipment die (or abscond, or never really build up well). Blocking off the
screen with political signs underneath never worked, so I have to break the
hive down to the screen, cover in aluminum foil, then put it all back in
place. Very labor intensive, and defeats the purpose of the screen.

So it's a trade off between battling beetles or battling mites. Strong
colonies keep beetles at bay. Can't say the same with mites.