From:
Bob Harrison <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 25 Mar 2010 21:22:17 -0500
Hello All,
A commercial beekeeper in Georgia called tonight to report what he is seeing
in hives returning from almonds. We are going to meet and I ma going to look
at some samples of his problem.

The problem is confined to a pallet. One pallet effected ( all hives) and
other pallets good bees.

The eggs  and larva are unaffected but pupa in the purple eye stage and
emerging look immature and are dying after emerging with their tongues out.

Has others ever seen the above? Hypothesis?

We are planning on shipping samples to Jerry B. as soon as we find out the
method. I told the beekeeper to freeze samples till I arrive. The beekeeper
is from Michigan and will be in Georgia (living in a motel room) for another
three weeks.

I spoke with a commercial beekeeper from Nebraska ( In Texas making splits
but leaving for home Saturday) . He said terrible losses were seen when
hives arrived from North Dakota sunflowers last fall.
The sunflowers were neonicotinoid treated.

He said he heard almonds were short 100,000 hives this year.

about all the news.

bob

PS Jerry B. I need to know the way you want samples taken and method of
shipment. Also your fees as the beekeeper expects to pay for your testing.
His hypothesis is pesticide damage but I have really only seen bees dying
with tongues out when starving.
Does his story sound like symptoms you are seeing? Email off list if you
want. I leave Saturday for the south. I have never met the beekeeper before
and a friend gave him my name but I am always interested in problems a
longtime beekeeper says he has never seen before.