From:
Bob Harrison <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 2 Apr 2008 13:33:53 -0500
Hello Brian & All,
Brian you are attempting to supply a simple answer for a complex problem.
What you describe is NOT what we are seeing.

Dee & Jerry were very honest about what they are seeing.

What would you do if you went out next week and half your hives are empty.
Simply void of bees. I have talked to many beekeepers for which this has
been the case. Would you simply say it was winterkill?

I have been keeping bees for 48 years. Around 45 years in cold climates but
have wintered bees in California,Texas and Florida. What these beekeepers
are reporting has not been seen before.

What would be your first move if when you next checked your bees the bees
were gone. Not on the bottom board and not with heads in cells?

Also after years with Russian/Russian hives ( two yards at present and have
had hundreds at one time  but getting some Russian/Russian queens coming
soon this spring ) you have a hard time telling spring dwindling as the
Russians keep such small winter clusters. Takes awhile to see problems in
Russians as they for the most part do not brood up until fresh pollen is
available.  Last year many reported problems happened after the bees were
flying. Not taking syrup is common with CCD hives.

bob