Reply To:
Discussion of Bee Biology <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 8 Jun 1996 19:06:30 -0400
Content-Type:
text/plain
Parts/Attachments:
text/plain (109 lines)
At 10:11 PM 6/7/96 -0500, Frand Humphrey wrote:                                 

>Hi Tim                                                                         
>                                                                               
>Did you know that your car is capable of approximately 6000 revolutions pre    
>minute and that the plugs fire at half that rate?  Did you also know that a    
>capacitor discharge ignition system is used to furnish those 50,000volt        
>pulses 3000 times a minute?  And did you know that this is also the same       
>system used in fence chargers?  The main difference is that fence chargers     
>are designed to work slower to make the battery last longer.  The old brush    
>burner type fence chargers are very hard to find because they tend to start    
>fires and their sale is forbidden in most states.  Also most fence chargers    
>only use about 6000 volts.  If you really want to deter bears,  go to an       
>auto parts store and get a high performance electronic ignition system and     
>take to your local community college and have them design a trigger circuit    
>for about 2 to 3 thousand pulses per minute and mount the whole thing in a     
>weather proof box.  Believe me,  50,000 volt 2000 times per min. will deter    
>the most determined bear.                                                      
>                                                                               

Frank:                                                                  

Thanks for your comments.                                               

I had not considered the merits of present day automotive electronic    
        technology. Now that you mention it, I do recall reading about the      
        voltage values possible with electronic ignition systems. A set-up      
        that you suggest would indeed prove to be a magnificant challenge to    
        the most determined bear. I'm not sure that this method would be        
        cost effective for a hobbyist.                                          

>Now the main reason I' replying to your post is that you are suggesting        
>using household AC voltage and current to deter bears.  These voltages kill    
>more people in the US each year than all others combined.  It only takes 1/2   
>amp of current through your heart to kill..  120 VAC and 240 VAC is not high   
>enough to knock human loose form the contact but does cause muscle             
>contraction.  At this point the human body is electrocuted.  Now is someone    
>stagers into your bear trap at night by mistake, you are going to have a       
>dead person on your hand,  make no mistake about it.  This is not something    
>I would not want on my conscience.                                             

I would definitely not want this type of accident on my conscience      
        either. I failed to explain my situation clearly. I live in the         
        Northeastern corner of Vermont. My town has 358 people in a 30 sq mi    
        area. If you look up "boondocks" in the dictionary you'll see a picture 
        of Kirby. My driveway is 1.5 mi from the nearest paved road and my      
        driveway is .75mi long. Other than the driveway there is no access to   
        my property. The house is located on a ridge midway up our 1600'        
        "mountain". There is a large hayfield below the house and heavy forest  
        above. No one staggers through any part of my 200 acres. We do have the 
        occasional moose, bears and coyote wander by, but even they stay clear  
        of the house and out buildings, for the most part. My hives are located 
        about 50yds from the house, beyond a knoll that is behind the poultry   
        coops. You have to want to go there to get there.                       

As I said in my original post, this is not the method to use in a more  
        populated area. It is the way in which I have dealt with the problem    
        within my own unique set of circumstances. I am acutely aware of the    
        dangers of 120V AC and I am not taking those dangers lightly. The system
        is only energized when I am home and if there is a situation where      
the risk                                                                        
        is greater than my normal, the power is always secured.                 

****************                                
        To All interested parties:                                              

As I was thinking on this topic I remembered a low-tech solution        
that was                                                                        
        given by someone who wrote a letter to the editor of Bee Culture        
Magazine.                                                                       
        It was sometime back and I haven't been able to find the issue yet,     
so I                                                                            
        can't give the person credit, but here is what I remember:              

Cut up sheets of 1/2" exterior grade plywood into strips 32" x 48" (3 to
        a 4'x8' sheet) and drive *many* 8d galv nails through the plywood. The  
        resulting "pin cushions" would be placed front and rear of the hives    
with                                                                            
        the nails sticking up, of course. Supposedly the bear won't cross       
over the                                                                        
        nails to get to the hives. Drawbacks: its an awful lot of nailing if    
you have                                                                        
        more than a couple of hives and it would be a pain to have to move      
them every                                                                      
        time you went to work the hives.                                        

The most effective deterrent maybe being big, fat and ugly. On May      
25th a                                                                          
        young bear tipped over my stongest hive. He only did minor damage to two
        frames, mainly because I caught him in the act. It was 8AM and when     
I saw                                                                           
        that the hive had been tipped over I went storming out. When I          
cleared the                                                                     
        top of the knoll I found Mr. Bear sitting contentedly amidst the frames,
        munching away. I bellowed "GET THE HELL OUT OF THERE!!! He spun around, 
        obviously suprised and started to move towards me. Confronted by a      
raging                                                                          
        6' 285lb madman, mr bear decided he wanted no part of what I was        
offering, and                                                                   
        before I could do or say anything else, he ran down the hill,           
through the bog                                                                 
        and up the mountain. I've been told how fast bears can move, and now    
I've                                                                            
        witnessed it first hand. To date, the bear has not returned.            
Tim Peters, Kirby VT                                                            
[log in to unmask]                                                             
KirBee Apiary, Bear Bait Honey                                                  
I rather be flying!                                                             

ATOM RSS1 RSS2