From:
Christina Wahl <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 28 Oct 2015 19:01:59 +0000
"The metabolization breaks down the imidacloprid into at least two "binding  metabolites".  That seems to DOUBLE the number of molecules that can bind the bee's receptors."

"For an analogy, one can cut a T-bone steak into a New York strip steak plus a tenderloin.  You've now got two steaks, but no more total steak."

To some extent, I think you are both right.  IMI and all its metabolites are present in the synapse.  All of the molecules also degrade at some rate, we aren't sure about the details except that we do know they are all there for days.  So one steak, two steaks, three, or just one-and-a-half; we don't know and to argue about it is pointless.  It would however be useful to remember the facts that we do have:  ALL of the molecules persist for days, especially the top two metabolites, and ALL of them can bind to synapses.  So one IMI molecule binds to one synapse.  But its two metabolites can bind to TWO synapses, that was Jim's point.

What are the consequences?  Fuzzy-headed bees, according to MANY other papers showing behavioral problems.  As Jim pointed out in an earlier post, behavioral changes are among the first symptoms of neurological deficit.  Just observe anyone who's had a few drinks.  So our bees are on a continuous buzz.  What is the labor output if all your employees are drunks?  Can we live with that?

Christina