From:
Bill Greenrose <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 11 Jul 2010 08:10:05 -0400
Yesterday,10 July, during my afternoon walkabout with old dog and lit cigar, I saw early goldenrod (we have, I think, at least four species up here) beginning to bloom.  This is the earliest I have seen it bloom - last year it began on 02 August and the main bloom began on 13 August.  I have always thought of it as a late summer/early fall bloomer.  Pretty much everything has bloomed earlier this year as compared to last year, but this is REALLY early.  The basswood/linden just finished up.  If this is not an anomaly (and I don't think it is, based on the buds I see on the tall goldenrod, which is WAY over my head) , then we will segue right into the 'fall' flow without any mid-summer dearth, which will be good for the bees now, but I wonder about what they will have available later in the fall.  Everything might be spent by then, yet, they will still be active, possibly for several weeks.  Guess I should be prepared to feed, if necessary, which means I am going to have to deal with robbing, again.  Time for some robber screens.

Anyway, anyone else seeing the whole growing/blooming season moved up this year?

Bill
Claremont, NH
+43.35687 +43° 21’ 25”
-72.3835   -72° 23’ 01”