From:
"J. Waggle" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 15 May 2013 07:02:00 -0400
>>Interesting timing on this topic. I received this email today from, I must admit, a responsible company. A pat on the back might be in order for this company...

I love to hear about responsible exterminator companies!

The one I deal with refers ALL honeybee calls (no matter
what the situation) to beekeepers for right to first refusal.

If the removal is not practical, too dangerous, or if the
colony posses an immediate risk to heath and safety,
I will refer it back to the exterminator, and give advice
to the homeowner on how to prevent re-infestation of
honeybees.

The company I deal with has no problem with not using
pesticides which are dangerous to honeybees.  For
example I do know that they refuse to use the product
BASF makes,,,, if i spell it right,,,, fipronil,  due to its
tracking and long residual makes exposure to honeybees
more likely.  They are also eager to learn about other
pesticides they can eliminate and practices they can
do to protect honeybees, and alternatives.

I believe the beekeeping community missed an opportunity
in not teaming up with pest companies back in the
mid 90's to help assess the feral recovery progress,
and identify early recovery areas.  They are missing
out even today by not working with them to at
least survey where bees are swarming and recovering
and where not recovering etc.

Best Wishes,
Joe Waggle