From:
"Janet L. Wilson" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 19 Jun 2018 12:17:20 -0400
Randy, this raises a question for me, apologies if it takes the discussion a bit sideways.

We had a big EFB outbreak in my apiary this spring, thanks to some untended hives nearby which turned out to be infected with EFB and AFB. I guess my bees robbed these weaker colonies and brought back more than honey!

So of course now I am looking very closely at all new brood, searching for those yellowing, drying, dying larvae.

I have noticed that the very white drone larvae tend to have an obvious yellow stripe running through them, and I take it this is a gut full of yellow pollen/pollen sub based bee bread.

However, in one online primer on the foulbroods, the writer points to pearly white brood with these yellow guts as evidence of EFB infection.

My colonies have been through the medication/shook swarm/second medication protocol and seem all to have recovered disease free (although they have been set back quite hard, losing all their brood), but I would like to poll experienced beekeepers on the yellow coloured guts of white bee larvae...are they just really well fed, or are they sick??