From:
Kim Patten <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 6 Sep 1995 22:46:56 -0700
With all the talk about heather honey let me toss out another subject along
those lines.

I am currently evaluating heather and heath species for their attractiveness
to bumble bees. I am most in interested in bloom in very early spring and
mid to late summer.  I have about 10 species/cultivar that look good, but am
curious if anyone has any comments on the subject.

The main purpose is to help build up feral population of certain species of
bumble bees by providing nectar and pollen producing plants during several
times of the year when nothing else of value is blooming.
Kim Patten
Washington State University Long Beach Research and Extension Unit
Rt. 1, Box 570, Long Beach WA 98631
phone and fax 360-642-2031
e-mail [log in to unmask]