From:
randy oliver <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 26 May 2011 00:03:22 -0700

> >For example the beekeepers in Cal who had to make additional openings for
> >ventilation because of harm to the bees.

Unless there are reports of which I haven't heard, the complaint was only
from a single Calif beekeeper, and the additional openings were only a
suggestion.  I've been in continued contact with that beekeeper, who has
also been in contact with a number of others who have already used some
thousands of doses.  We are not hearing of more problems to any extent (not
to say that I don't expect some).

Of note is that there appears to be a fairly broad colony-to-colony response
to formic vapors--some largely ignore the vapors and some react strongly.

I've recently received some necessary woodenware to attempt to duplicate the
situation (3/8" beeways), and am waiting for the weather to break so that I
can mark the (intentionally old) queens so that I can detect any
supersedures.

I have not yet tried Mitegone pads, and also would love to hear reports from
any who have.

Randy Oliver
Grass Valley, CA
ScientificBeekeeping.com