From:
Peter Edwards <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 26 Sep 2013 11:19:17 +0100
>And yet, this year, unless standing next to a hive, I have seen many
more bumble than honey bees.  Wasps have been especially troublesome.

Interesting year.  Winter until third week of May (May and early June is
when most of our crop comes in).  Winter oilseed rape virtually failed in
this area; some tried to replant, but that was generally not successful - so
far less exposure to neonics than we have had for years.  Winter beans not
good either, so the honey mix is very different this year.

Everything late to get going, including bumblebees and wasps.  Noticeable
lack of the Tree Bumblebee (Bombus hypnorum) this year; in recent years it
has reached plague proportions!  Wasps late to attack hives, but then really
bad with more colonies lost than usual.

Best wishes

Peter
52°14'44.44"N, 1°50'35"W