From:
Gary Lewis <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 26 Jun 1999 23:57:22 -0500
Hello Bee Folks,

I had a new queen arrive a few weeks ago. I placed her in a deep super
with a few frames of brood sealed and open. I also placed in a few empty
frames of drawn comb and filled the rest of the space with frames of
honey.
I checked the hive today the queen was walking around checking out empty
cells, there was a nice patern of of new eggs and brood. My concern is
there are very few workers in the hive. I fear I will end up with the
new hive and queen dying. What can I do?

I have another hive that is in good shape bringing in nectar and some
pollen.
Can I and should I switch the hives allowing the field force from the
strong hive come in to the hive with the new queen in it? If I do this
will the new queen be in danger of being killed? Should I also put an
extra super on top of the new hive, as the strong hive is two deeps.

Should I feed the new hive with a pollen substitute in patty form? Or
will the feild bees begin to take care of the needs of the queen?

All advice will be of great help. Also the sooner the better I don't
think there is much time left with so few workers in the new hive. There
is sealed brood but even that will not be a great increase.

Gary C. Lewis
Duke Center, Pa. U.S.A.