Date:
Mon, 26 Mar 2012 05:03:11 -0700
It seems that a study might be done if the proper equipment were available.  I don't know if we have the proper equipment available now or not.  As I see it, we would need response chips small enough to be easily carried by flying bees and strong enough to respond to a radio signal or a radar signal from  a good distance away.  There would also have to be enough detections units to saturate an area around the hive of the tagged bees.  If the chips could be attached to emerging bees, I see two things being evaluated at the same time initially;  the time it takes emerged bees to start foraging behavior and then distances the bees go on the foraging forays.  Maybe you science people can respond to this rough, initial analysis of trial setups.

Personally, I'd really like to see this being done.  But, I think the cost, especially for the detection units set up in the field would be huge.

Mike in LA