From:
Allen Dick <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Sun, 8 Dec 1996 17:37:08 -0600
> On Sat, 7 Dec 1996, Allen Dick wrote:
> >
> > Using these pillows, I have been experimenting with having an upper
> > entrance for wintering right in the front of the telescoping lid.
> > 3/4" X 3/4" wood strips are nailed around the outside of the inner
> > surface of telescoping lids.  A 2" gap is left in the centre at the
> > front.
> >
> > The idea of this ledge is that this supports the weight of the lid
> > (plus rocks, or other hives during moves, etc,) so that the
> > insulation is not compressed much in the centre.  It assures a good
> > fit at the edges, and allows for placing pollen patties, grease
> > patties, sticks, etc. on the top bars without having the lid teeter
> > around.
>

> Very interesting article, Allen.  But I am having some trouble visualising
> the 3/4 X 3/4 inch strips....and their function.  Maybe you could explain
> it a bit further...:)

I wondered if it was clear.

If the normal telescoping lid is placed over a pillow, the weight of
the lid and anything on it goes onto the entire pillow, squashing it
somewhat -- and anything under it.  The lid also rocks a bit.

By nailing the strips of wood around the outer edge of the inner
surface of the inside of the lid, the lid is held up 3/4 inch off
the frames and the the lid weight is carried by the box, not the
pillow and frames.

Because of the 3/4 inch space (plus any distance the frames sit down
below the top of the box), the pillow is not compressed much.
Moreover the pressure of the strips guarantees a good seal around
the edge. Items such as pollen patties placed on top of the frames
merely push up into the the pillow up without affecting the lid's
stability. (Anything over 3/4" thick would, however push the lid
up).

You see, I have some inner covers with about an inch of space above
the top bars to allow for putting patties in, but the problem is
that this is too much clustering space, and the bees group up there
in the spring and fill it with burr comb, instead of working down
on the frames, unless I get out there and change them.

That extra space means lots of work scraping.  This method allows the
space to be there when I arrive with patties, but that space fills
with the pillow when nothing is on the top bars.  Moreover, the bits
of wax and burr comb that we formerly scraped regularly from the top
bars after reversing is now an asset, allowing bee communication
over the top bars.

The R4 insulation is a benefit in heat or cold, and the plastic
keeps lids from being stuck down.

We have also experimented with adding a piece of Styrofoam an inch or
so thick before putting the strips in to give a total of R8+,
including the pillow.

Because the pillow keeps the lid away from the bees, chewing should
not be a problem.  However retrofitting old lids with a 2-1/2 inch
depth is not too good, since the styrofoam subtracts 1" and the
strips subtract a further 3/4", leaving only 3/4" of telescope, so
if we stick with this, we will likely have to make new lids with
about 4-1/2" or 5" deep sides.

The gap in the front of the strips is to allow for the bees to fly
out and for air to circulate -- if the pillow is moved back a bit
(and if holes are drilled straight out the front of the lid).

Hope this is clearer...

Regards

Allen

W. Allen Dick, Beekeeper                                         VE6CFK
RR#1, Swalwell, Alberta  Canada T0M 1Y0
Internet:[log in to unmask] & [log in to unmask]
Honey. Bees, & Art <http://www.internode.net/~allend/>