From:
John Burgess <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
John Burgess <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 26 Mar 1999 18:53:10 -0000
My thanks to Alan Dick for the explanation of the HIP. A couple of points
occurred to me which might need to be taken into account in interpreting the
results of the programme.

Firstly, is any observed effect due to the development of a resistance to
varroa or to virus(es)? UK experience has shown colonies able to co-exist
with massive populations of varroa and conversely, colony losses are
frequently associated with bee viruses. Current thinking is that the mite
activates normally inapparent virus infections to multiply to lethal levels
and can subsequently act as a vector. Virus activation is known in other
insects, but the mechanisms have not been studied in any detail. It is known
that by injecting foreign proteins into bees you can activate inapparent
infections; this perhaps mimics what happens when the mite feeds. More
detail is available on the IACR website at
http://www.res.bbsrc.ac.uk/entnem/research/chdva.htm . Obviously, it does
not
matter what mechanism results in the ability of colonies to survive, but a
knowledge of what is actually going on may be very important in breeding to
fix the desirable trait.

Although it is probably not yet relevant to the HIP work, it should be
remembered that there are at least two strains of varroa, differing in their
virulence. The milder strain is found in South America, and might be the
reason why africanised honeybees have been reported as resistant to varroa.
As AHBees move north, this factor might need to be taken into account.
Reference the previous Tektran thread:
>DNA EVIDENCE OF THE ORIGIN OF 'VARROA' JACOBSONI >OUDEMANS IN THE AMERICAS
>
>Author(s):
>DE GUZMAN LILIA I
>RINDERER THOMAS E
>STELZER JOHN A

I would also like to mention that the IACR website contains an outline of
their research into biological control of varroa, concentrating on mite
pathogenic fungi.

As a personal opinion (definitely not fact!) I believe that the possibility
of feral bees becoming the source of resistant bees before becoming extinct
is very small. The IACR approach seems to me to be a more hopeful approach.
Isn't there a saying about fleas with little fleas upon them?

Literally millions of species have become extinct since life
on earth began, but perhaps we can help this one to survive until it can
evolve to an equilibrium with the parasite.

John Burgess, Editor Gwenynwyr Cymru/The Welsh Beekeeper