From:
Robert Mann <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 6 Jun 2000 10:59:07 +1200
>> There certainly are examples of such 'jumping genes' in several
>> kingdoms of biology.  The question is whether in this rumoured case the
>> microbes did incorporate into their DNA the transgene(s) which had been
>> artificially inserted into the plant.  If so, the explanation will
>> presumably rely on the known higher tendency of transgenes inserted with
>> the CaMV promoter to jump further in horizontal gene transfer.
>
>Does that suggest that antibiotic resistance, which I believe was used as a
>marker for testing gene transfer success -- as mentioned here earlier --
>may be
>one of those transgenes that may have "jump(ed) farther"?
>
>If so, then the implications are pretty amazing.
>
>allen
>--

        The usual answers are:-
                1.  The probability is very low and should therefore be
practically equated to zero.
                2.  The antibiotics used in the selection are in little
medical or veterinary use at the moment.
                3.  The next generation of GM crops will use different
technology.

        These statements of the usual answers are intended on the one hand
to be accurate & fair but on the other hand also to hint at the reasons why
some scientists like me are not satisfied with them.

-
Robt Mann
consultant ecologist
P O Box 28878   Remuera, Auckland 1005, New Zealand
                (9) 524 2949