From:
charles Linder <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 27 Feb 2014 17:12:30 -0600
Would you mind explaining what beekeeping practices you believe are
problematic (and why)? I am not trying to dispute, just clarify since I
wasn't
sure to what you were referring.

Sure,  first off  studies show that the top chem. Issues in the hives are
beekeeper applied treatments for mites.  Imaclorapids and neonics I think
were 19 and 23 on the list...  (don't quote me on the positions,  but way
down there).

2nd,  we take a lot of the food and shelter away from the bees just before
winter. Like it or not many of us are not very good at this practice

3rd Migratory work (I am not against it at all) is hard on bees.  It exposes
them to things (mostly sprayed) that they shouldn't be in.  Fungicides being
the largest, and just other pathogens also being on the list.

4th  Varroa.  Like it or not we as a whole are terrible at mite monitoring
and management.  While commercial guys are a bit better, most do blanket
treatments.  Hobbyist are clueless..... period.  I talk to and deal with
about 200 hobbyist every year.  And no matter what I say or show them, they
don't know or care to learn.

5th  Diagnosis.  When it comes to determining what killed a hive, we as a
group are illiterate. Bees are dead... end of story.  So to the letter,
people are looking elsewhere to blame.  It would astound me how many samples
are sent to Beltsville, as a complete waste of time.  Usually the answer is
right in front of us, but we choose to ignore it.

I agree pesticides can and are issues from overspray to soil buildups. We
need to know whats going on, and where to head.  We also MUST acknowledge,
they are NOT going away.  So we need to be careful when we cry wolf.....
Darn well needs to be one, because in this case in particular,  as a person
in the middle of it,  I can tell you the options are BAD....

For most sitting in the non farm country  this is just noise.....  for me,
back to spraying randomly would really effect my beekeeping