From:
Karen Oland <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 27 Nov 2002 17:54:27 -0500
True.

However, spread to eastern TN, western TN (approx 400 miles away) and then
to western KY can be traced to ONE migratory beekeeper who will not treat
and keeps moving his bees -- first from a known infested area in GA, to
outside Chattanooga, TN, then to the far western end of TN.

Had he treated when the beetle was first identified in his TN hives, the
beetles would not (in all likelihood) be in the western end of TN and KY
(where it is already causing losses).  Better, had he not moved infected
hives from GA (in violation of state law, but with no real punishment
defined), the entire state might still be clear.  Or at least, have a few
more years before the beetle spread naturally.