Date:
Wed, 24 Sep 2003 19:48:18 -0400
Being, myself, the sort that often winds up in heated, fact-based opinion discussions, I'd like to briefly occupy some space that's unfamiliar to me - in the center of an argument.

The recent, somewhat rancorous debate over Yoon's decision  to treat/not treat (and I'd like to point out that it IS his decision) is fairly typical of this sort of discussion.  In an effort to be constructive, I'd like to offer a few points worth considering:

1)  This highly polarized issue seems to be batted back and forth primarily between two distinct camps - Pros, and Sideliners/Hobbyists.  For obvious reasons, these two paradigms sometimes collide.  Niether side is necessarily right or wrong - just different worlds, different motives, different risks, different rewards.

2)  Many skilled breeders and highly scientific minds are at work on this problem.  It is, however, NOT a foregone conclusion that the final answer will come from those camps.  As with any major problem, the more eyes and minds on the problem, the more likely it will be solved.  As a general point of order, a great many major scientific breakthroughs come as a surprise, from an area unexpected source.

3)  If noone was willing to take the risk and run chemical free, then no one could possibly know whether it was possible or not - period.  This harkens back to the breeding issue.  The only way you can really know if a given strain is actually resistant, is, to some degree, to let it happen.  There is a brave breeder in Vermont - Kirk Webster, who is walking this path right now.  To date, I don't believe he's had much repeatable success beyond increased acarine/varroa resistance (please correct me if I'm mistaken), but that doesn't mean the implausable (truly resistant A.M.) won't happen.

4)  I think the list, in general, should take a deep breath, step back, and consider how much stress you are all creating in each other (especially in the DL debacle).  Have we forgotten what we all have in common - a love of bees, and a quest for understanding?

5)  As my mother used to tell me...You won't know for sure until you try.

Todd.