Date:
Sat, 11 May 2013 09:22:43 -0600
> I wonder if someone asked if they would give out the formular they
> used on the mite awayII pads, or better yet mayby we can get some
> Chinese co. to start manufacturing them??

Miteaway pads were based on a home-made method developed in Europe, then
adapted in Ontario by Medhat and David -- as I recall.  David
manufactured pads commercially under the Miteaway name.

These pads worked, but had release rate issues and David went on and
refined the system a bit, dubbing the product last seen on the market as
Miteaway II.  These worked for some, but many had issues with them,
partly due to the long treatment period and uncertain release rates for
the massive dose of acid in periods of unexpectedly hot or cold weather.

Mitewipes, a quick-dose product with a shorter release period and
smaller payload, were also introduced, but failed commercially as they
were just meat pads with acid and beekeepers soon learned to make them
at home for less money and shipping cost.  Most still refer to
"Mitewipes", even when we make them ourselves by soaking Dri-loc 50 meat
pads in 65% formic acid.

We still use "Mitewipes" widely here in the Prairies, and they are the
Gold Standard to which MAQs should be compared in my opinion.  They are
very flexible in design and usage and dirt cheap to make -- and they
work without doing much damage in the hands of a skilled beekeeper.

David kept working on improving formic treatments and had reached the
limits of the Miteaway product, so withdrew it from the market to
replace it with the new product: MAQs.  There were some issues in the
introduction period and initial reviews were mixed, as apparently some
of the independent testers received pads which were off-spec. Even where
the correct pads were supplied, the reviews have been mixed.

That is why I asked.  I figured enough time had passed that I could get
some feedback and I am running a clinic shortly where I will have to
comment on the suitability of this product for the non-expert beekeeper.
  So far, the comments on and off list are less than encouraging, so I'm
hoping to hear from some who have had good success with them.

I don't think there is any binding patent on Miteaway pads, so, you can
freely make and use your own Miteaway II knock-offs, at least in the
free world. In some places it is illegal however, and access to formic
acid can also be restricted. So be aware of your local laws and
enforcement policies.  Additionally, unless 65% formic is obrtained, not
the purer form, making formic treatments requires some basic
mathematical ability.

Regardless, handling acids both in the making of the treatments and
applying them demands manual dexterity and sober, careful methodology,
safety gear and a neutralizing agent at hand.  That is where, as I
understand it, MAQs shines, being safer to handle and less prone to
accident.

Seems to me that people were able to refill the Miteaway IIs and they
are not too hard to make.  I believe all that info is in  the archives
as I recall discussing the entire question with Medhat on BEE-L back
when Miteaway was first under development.