From:
Robert E Neely <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 19 May 1997 12:40:17 EDT
Dear Charles,
Sorry to be so slow with your reply. I must have gotten a little
overheated while doing a split. Blacked out. Had a valve job last June
(Mitral Valve) and still have to be a little careful.
The Queen excluder is just that, a Queen Excluder. The queen is the
largest in the colony. The excluder keeps her out of your honey frames.
The bees have a tendency to move upward in the hive. I don't know if this
to move away from entrance.(Protection, weather or whatever.) It seems
better for me when adding a super...to put it next to the excluder..it
shortens the distance to the hive entrance. The workers must pass the
nursery bees attending brood and if they need food the workers just pass
it off to them and go for more...if not they can go upward to the first
available super, comb, etc. I watch my honey flow carefully when adding a
super. If it slows in any way, I feed sugar syrup for a couple of days.
It just helps as a filler for drawing comb.

As for the aggressive hive that you have. There are a couple of ways to
handle it. If you have any hives in an isolated area, this would be the
first one to place there. (It may deter vandals)
You may requeen with one from a more gentle hive. I would not use a
virgin queen. She would mate with a drone from the aggressive hive and
possible carry over the same genes. It is possible that you may need to
requeen more than twice to be effective. Just remember, an aggressive
hive is usually more productive.

Thanks for your interest.

Bob Neely
Goose Creek, SC USA