From:
Bill Ruzicka <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 11 May 2011 16:40:20 -0700
GENTLE MAN

FOR MANY YEARS I COLECTED LOT OF "STUF" ABOUT FORMIC ACID.

 IT IS A TIME TO SHARE IT WITH YOU.

I will put the source of recent reverent comments when known in brackets.

RUMORS AND MITHS:

>FA kills queens and bbrood. >FA causes Supersedure .FA causes Queens to
stop lay eggs.

>FA causes sterility of drones > FA causes corrosion.>FA is dangerous to
handle.

(RANDY) >formic is very rough on nukes. . (MENDES)> FA is attracting SHB

(BOB)> Clearing a hive of Varroa in 7 days is a big selling factor.
(Miteaway)

Losing your queen and a large amount of eggs and larva is a big con.

(Agroscope)>formic acid is not sufficiently efficient under all conditions.

PLEASE ADD AS MANY AS YOU KNOW OR HERED ABOUT.

BUT REMEMBER Formic Acid ON ITS OWN DOES NOT CAUSE NONE OF ABOVE

IT IS THE APPLICATION METHODS AND HIGH CONCENTRATION WHAT CAUSE THE
PROBLEMS.

THERE FORE STATE AN APPLICATION METHOD AND CONCENTRATION USED BEFORE THE
CLAIM.

I will clear out the obvious first:

CONCENTRATION: (Dowson creek research centre Carry Clark 93) the 65%
concentration is the

Most effective and least damaging:
http://www.mitegone.com/acidprinciples.asp

COROSION: The acid fumes of 65% concentration cannot penetrate metal
surfaces covered by wax or propolis.

Our honey collectors go into pollination with metal Q excluders and acid
pads above them - no rust.

Only liquid acid sprayed on or applicators dripping liquid FA on metal parts
cause rust.

DANGEROUSE TO HANDLE: not any more as inspecting battery on your truck.

PLEASE LET ME CNOW About serious and documented injury caused to people

 who do have common sense in safety and handling FA.

All other are either stupidity or rumors:

http://www.mitegone.com/pdfpages/Formic%20Acid%20Injuries.pdf

APPLICATION METHODS: Most methods used in North America and discussed on
list are:

BLAST /FLASH METHODS:

Usually applied on top bars or bottom boards. Spraying 30-40cc of high acid
on napkins.

Soaking butcher pads= MITEVIPES, Beer casters, Blue towels, feminine
napkins,

various pouches and European dispensers Liebefeld and KRAMER.

OR Kramer's Canadian REPLICA known as MITEAWAY and the new MA QS.

(ALLEN)>The problem with all such treatments is that the distribution of
fumes in a hive is unpredictable.

Yes Allen you right.

 ALL THESE METHODS WORK ON PRINCIPLE OF OVERDOSE AND FLACTUATING

OUTSIDE TEMPERATURES. VHEN THEY APPLIED or in long term like KRAMER+
MITEAWAY

 In high noon THEY RELEASE BLAST OF ACID FORCING BEES TO VENTILATE

TO LOVER THE CONCENTRATION OF FUMES TO THE LEVEL WICH DOES NOT

 KILL THE ADULT BEES BUT KILS THE MITE.

Small mortality of brood and emerging bees and drones are sign of this
concentration.

As long as these methods are applied to RIGHT size hives in right time and
right temperature

they used to provide reasonable control, But none can be used in AUGUST ITS
TO HOT.

ALSO WHEN THE SIZE OF HIVE ITS ABILITY TO VENTILATE, TIMING AND TEMPERATURE

GOES TO HIGH ALL HELL BRAKE LOOS ALL ABOWE PROBLEMS APEARS

INCLUDING LOS OF HIVES and STRES THAT ATRACTS SHB.

(ALLEN)> We have long wanted a quick formic treatment to use in late summer,

when the levels start to get out of hand. By fall, it's usually too late.

YES ALLEN you right again NONE OF THE ABOVE METHODS WILL WORK IN AUGUST

IT IS JUST TOO HOT FOR THEM.

That's bringing me to the most important thing of all treatments:

TIMING, TESTING and MITE TRESHOLDS.

TESTING JUST BEFORE TREATMENT IS A MUST HOW ANND WHY:

http://www.mitegone.com/testandmaterials.asp

TIMING: YOU HAVE TO TREAT BEFORE the mites can damage your winter bees

 and that is MID AUGUST anywhere north of 38 parallel; south of it YOU just
treat later

In central Florida MID OCTOBER and I equatorial KENYA When the sun is
crossing equator.

TRESHOLDS. SORY TO INFORM YOU BUT ALL OLD TRESHOLSD ARE OUT OF WINDOW.

YOU MUST HAVE ZERO MITES in mid AUGUST TO PREVENT DAMAGE TO YOUR WINTER

BEES ANY TREATMENTS LATER ARE USLES THE DAMAGE IS ALREADY DONE.

Depends on its severity the colonies will run out of winter bees sooner or
later.

It is not the waroa itself but all old and new viruses and diseases she
caries and spread.

 Inadequate treatments with dusting and all kinds of

POTIONS only help to spread it bi knocking mite off and getting back on
other bee.

ALL ABOVE DOESNOT LOOK WERY PROMISING, DON'T DISPARE REED ON.

The Europeans long time ago found another method WICH IS NOT WEATHER
DEPENDANT

CAN BE USED IN AUGUST AND ELIMINATES ALL PROBLEMS OF BLAST /FLASH METHODS

LISTED ABOVE.

It is called SLOW LOW CONTINUOUSE RELEASE METHOD and can be applied by
evaporators

like NASENHIDER <POPODI >BURMISTER and others. They work mostly on principle
of suction

of various materials placed in side of frames in area of hive where bees
maintain temperature

And humidity MAKING THEM NOT WEATHER DEPENDANT.

Unfortunately they are plastic gadgets requiring extra frames very labor
extensive,

prone to plugging by burr comb, not usable by anyone with more than few
hives.

AT THIS TIME I HAVE TO ASK MODERATORS TO CONSIDER THIS POSTING TO BE

SHARING KNOWLEDGE and INFORMATION not advertizing.

BY now (thanks to ALLEN and BOB) you all know I'm old bee breeder with 50
hives.

I spend all money I made running 500 hives on very expensive hobby called
MITEGONE,

and yet have to make red cent of profit.  The last money I had I spend on
DVD produced this winter

discussing in details all above and what will follow. At $ 15 barely covers
handling mail

 and out of pocket cost.

IN 1993 I compiled all I already told you. I did not like the blast methods
side effects.

I liked the SLOW LOW DOSE RELEASSE but did not like the APPLICATION METHODS.

Using my engineering background I replaced the top suction evaporation of
the European gadgets,

by bottom evaporation from PAD containing capillary tubes.

Using phenolitic foam made to our specification I designed pad 10 inches
long and 4 "wide

only 3/8" thick to fit into bee space between last comb and wall of
Langstroth box.

WHEN cut in half THE CEL STRUCTURE witch acts like capillary tubes is
exposed and acts as

evaporation surface. The cell structure of pad holds and soaks 120 grams of
FA automatically

and without dripping. Hang down the acid will evaporate from the exposed
bottom and gravity

will pull the acid down to provide continuous rate of 6 grams over 24 hours
under brood

temperature and humidity. To see how it is done see the two free videos @

http://www.mitegone.com/video.asp

MITEGONE METHOD besides not being weather dependant and usable in AUGUST.

Has a very beneficial side effect: KILS TRACHEA MITE WITHOUT DAMAGE TO BEES,

REDUCES NOSEMA BUY 80%, GETS RID AVAY WITH CHALK BROOD

and LESSER WAX MOTH. IN 2008 we found that it REPEALS SHB FOR 4 months,

http://www.mitegone.com/pdfpages/Test%202007%20Mar%2008%20D1.pdf

WITH THE NEW GENERATION OF MITEGONE READY TO FILL KITS:

http://www.mitegone.com/pdfpages/Pre%20filling%20Pads%20Dry%20Kits%20.pdf

It is simple and fast: Open kit, pour in 2 litre of FA in small 16 litre
into commercial one,

Close box as it was roll box several times to fill all pads equally and you
ready to put them

in hive in August. LEAVE THEM in hive till spring. YOU can reuse 2 out of 3
by re soaking,

or throw old out and put new one in. YOU have to treat in sping when you
preparing the hives

for pollination it protects your hives from re infestation from others hives
and keeps mites level

low through summer..

HOW WE ADAPT TO VARIOUSE HIVE SIZES:  the rule of thumb is:

ONE 5" HALF PAD FOR EWERY 5 FRAMES OF BEES.

IN AUGUST 2 deep or one deep and dadant or shallow use 3 half pads 5" long.

If the boxes are leaky or you have screen bottom or NMD over 20 add another
pad.

In spring 2 pads will do.

SINGLES 2 pads.  3-5 frames nukes one pad.  MATING nukes SEE:

http://www.mitegone.com/pdfpages/Other%20Uses%20of%20Pads.pdf

( ALLEN)> We've been through all this before, again and again.  There is no
magic formic bullet.

 If there were, we have seen it by now.

(I don't know about Mitegone. I don't have enough information to comment).

ARE WE GETTING ANY CLOSER TO IT? I let you all decide BEFORE PART 2.

Do not hesitate to call me and make your questions simple, it will be easier
to understand.

Bill Ruzicka

Bill's Honey Farm - Home of the MiteGone Formic Acid Treatment
Kelowna, British Columbia,  CANADA
Tel/Fax: 1-250-762-8156 (the best way to reach me is by phone Pacific Time)
Email:  <mailto:[log in to unmask]> [log in to unmask]  Website:
<http://www.mitegone.com/> www.mitegone.com